[STSP] 50 years since IGY

Phil Wilkinson phil at ips.gov.au
Tue Jul 15 11:22:21 EST 2008

Greetings,

An International Symposium is being organised on: Fifty Years after IGY
- Modern Information Technologies and Earth and Solar Sciences"
through the collaboration with national committees of
Science Council of Japan for IPY, eGY, IYPE, IHY, CODATA and SCOSTEP.

This symposium will be held in Tsukuba, Japan, on 10-13 November 2008,
and consists of three parts;
(1) New knowledge and information of Earth and solar sciences based
on observation/modeling,
(2) Application of Information and Communications Technologies, and
(3) Data sharing beyond "IGY+50" and our Mission.

A goal of this symposium is to share our experiences and opinions on how
we have been handling very varied and huge amounts of data and
extracting/expanding the knowledge, and on current and future plans for
international collaborations. Details can be found at the home
page below.

http://wdc2.kugi.kyoto-u.ac.jp/igy50/index.html

The abstract deadline has been extended to July 23, 2008.