[STSP] Media comments on the Decadal Plan

Phil Wilkinson phil at ips.gov.au
Thu Oct 4 12:41:13 EST 2007

Dear All,

today's the 50th anniversary of the launch of Sputnik.

Fyi, here's an article in today's Australian that relates to
Sputnik and ongoing steps towards an Austalian space effort.

I've tried to be cautious about the Plan, since it's still
incomplete, but I'm still pleased with the article. In one
sense the timing is not right for us (it is really too early
since the Plan is incomplete), but that's life and my judgement
is that almost any positive PR is better than none. Above all we want
to build recognition that Australia has very good space
scientists and should have a recognised national research effort.
This will take persistence and time, and will be helped by articles
like today's.

I also had a radio interview (3AW in Melbourne) at about 7:20 am,
which I think I fluffed, and one with Sandy Aloisi (Australian
on-line, I believe) at about 7:45 that I think went well. If
another call comes for a radio interview then I think I'll be
ready .... famous last words.

Ciao,

Iver.