Report of Aurora Observation 2003 October 29

anonymous anonymous at fakedomain.ips
Thu Oct 30 13:20:06 EST 2003

Several reports in so far from 7 stations from the telephone network in South East Australia for 2003 October 29.  The network of 31 people worked flawlessly, triggering off other contact networks as well.  Richard Pollard, who works nights, initially triggered the real-time network.  Shown below is the list in North to South order.

Observer - Kerry Needs, Mildura, Victoria  (34d10m South, 142d09m East)
======
Many, many thanks to the communication network!!  I witnessed my first aurora last night.
First observation:
1120 UTC on 2003 October 29 - approx 140 degrees azimuth (Just to the left of the Southern Cross), up to 20 degrees in altitude, some a little higher.  Within half an hour a strong aurora could be seen to the right of Alpha Centauri.  The total area of aurora activity was probably more than 20 degrees azimuth.
Colour - a little disappointing as there was very little colouring, possibly because of light pollution interference and my choice of viewing position.
Aurora subsided around 1155 UTC and I headed for home due to the extreme cold.  Hopefully didn't miss too much after this time.  Once again, thanks everyone.

Observer - Michelle Hickman, The Basin, Victoria (37d51m South, 145d19m East)
========
I got to my viewing spot about 1130 UTC on 2003 October 29. Clouds with a possible slight glow, waited awhile and then tried the sky high, I dont believe you can see far enough south from there as of the trees. Back to my spot which i do get a good view south, left there at 1315 UTC then viewed from heated room till about 1445 UTC.  still
nothing, except a dirty car from Dirt roads. All worth it tho.
After just now speaking to my father, whom was listening to the ABC in the am, people were ringing in noting seeing whites greens and blues from Tasmania in the early am.

Observer - Richard Pollard, Cranbourne, Victoria (38d05m South, 145m18s East)
========
Observed a definite red glow low in the southern sky around 1015 UTC and 1130 UTC on 2003 October 29, extending from horizon 25 or more degrees up to the southern cross.  The glow was visible even over nearby carpark lighting.

Observer - Peter and Rosalind Skilton, Frankston, Victoria (38d09m South, 145d09m East)
========
Observed from 0945 UTC to 1340 UTC  2003 October 29.  A faint pink glow up to about 30 degrees in the south-southeastern sky grew, then faded away, replaced by bright red patches surging upwards and dancing to 45 degrees above the horizon between 1210 UTC to 1250 UTC on 2003 October 29, with the red patches joining together to form a large red area about 30 degrees wide in azimuth.  The aurora affected the apparent colours of the stars within it, causing them to appear more orangey.  Photographs with 28mm and 50mm lenses were taken.  A clear view of the horizon was not possible at this location, being obscured from about 15 degrees downwards.

Observer - Bruce Tregaskis, Mount Eliza, Victoria (38d11m South, 145d06m East)
========
I received auroral alerts around 1100 UTC on 2003 October 29.  Initially, I was unable to confirm the sighting due to buildings, trees, clouds and moonlight. Eventually, at 1114 UTC,  most of the sky was cloudy, but it was clearer in the south and I noted that there could have been a white glow low down in the south, in the region of Crux, but moonlight was interfering. By 1124 UTC, Alpha and Beta Crucis and Alpha and Beta Centauri could be clearly seen and there was a greenish-white glow around Crux. This was about the best time that I could see the aurora, because cloud worsened and by 1132 UTC I ceased observing. I looked out briefly at 1548 UTC, when the sky was clear and there was no moonlight, but there was no sign of the aurora.

Observer - Phil Holt, Mornington, Victoria (38d16m South, 145d02m East)
========
Observations from Mornington (near racecourse).  1045 UTC on 2003 October 29, clouds observed silhouetted against a bright southern horizon. Could see stars through the bright zone so it was unlikely to be moon illuminated cloud.
1120 UTC, area brightened substantially along southern horizon and up to about 25 degrees. Sharp rays were then observed that reached at least 45 degrees above horizon.  Intermittent pulses of red colour also observed.
1131pm UTC, cloud finally ruined the show.
I took some photos with a wide 28mm lens and with my "all sky hubcap" setup.

Observer - John Cleverdon and John Goodall, Dromana, Victoria (38d20m South, 144d57m East)
========
Going outside, I could faintly see the aurora between the cloud and the horizon. However, where we live in Dromana is not good for watching aurorae, due to Arthurs Seat (a nearby hill). With heavy cloud coming across, I decided to get back to bed :-/
I also gave local fellow astronomer John Goodall a ring; he had just got home from giving night classes at TAFE, and reported seeing the aurora while driving home south. He mentioned that it was white rather than red.