[Ips-swf-alert] Issues with Short-wave Fadeout Alerts

rwc rwc at ips.gov.au
Thu May 9 17:31:45 EST 2024

To Short-wave Fadeout Alert subscribers,

Due to unusual X-Ray flux conditions, we have experienced an error in our Short-wave Fadeout Alert software which resulted in flares being observed without alerts being issued on 8-9 May. We are looking into our software to determine how to avoid this issue in the future. In the meantime, the real time X-Ray flux page on our website will show the current flare conditions: https://www.sws.bom.gov.au/Solar/1/7.
In addition, the Recent Flare product https://www.sws.bom.gov.au/Solar/1/8 has been affected and has not recorded several recent flares. The missed flares at the R2 (M5.0) and greater level are included below:

Flare: X1.0
Begin: 08 05 2024 0442UT
Max. : 08 05 2024 0509UT
Ended: 08 05 2024 0531UT
Duration: 49 minutes. (00:49)
Fadeout: probable all freq. Sector: E. Asia/Aust.

Flare: M7.1
Begin: 08 05 2024 0642UT
Max. : 08 05 2024 0653UT
Ended: 08 05 2024 0702UT
Duration: 20 minutes. (00:20)
Fadeout: probable lower freq. Sector: Mid East/Indian

Flare: X1.0
Begin: 08 05 2024 2109UT
Max. : 08 05 2024 2140UT
Ended: 08 05 2024 2307UT
Duration: 118 minutes. (01:58)
Fadeout: probable all freq. Sector: East Pacific/North American

The Flare Alert product and the Flares list in the Solar Summary in the Daily Solar and Geophysical Report are also impacted by this software issue.
Where flares are missed by the automated alert products, we will endeavour to issue a manual alert providing flare timing and magnitude for events at the ASWAS R2 (M5.0) level and higher. This will only take place between 2030 and 0800UT or 6:30 am to 6:00 pm AEST or 6:00 am to 5:30 pm ACST. Please see the Site News on the homepage of https://sws.bom.gov.au/ for any updates on this issue.