Posted through the URSI-Commission-G Mailing List: Changes in South Africa

Michael Rietveld mike at eiscat.uit.no
Tue Apr 5 01:00:14 EST 2011

NEWS ITEM: SOUTH AFRICA

MIGRATION OF HERMANUS MAGNETIC OBSERVATORY (HMO) TO SOUTH AFRICAN NATIONAL
SPACE AGENCY (SANSA)

The establishment of a national space agency for South Africa was approved
by Cabinet in July 2006 and that over the past three years the Government
concluded this process. Pursuant to the South African National Space
Agency Act, No. 36 of 2008, (SANSA) is currently being established as a
public entity with independent, impartial and objective decision-making
authority to serve local and international stakeholders and coordinate the
country's space-related initiatives.

The Hermanus Magnetic Observatory (HMO) is one of the entities that will
become part of SANSA from 1 April 2011. HMO will be migrating from the
National Research Foundation (NRF) to SANSA. On this date all employees of
HMO will be transferred to SANSA, and all existing HMO relationships,
collaborations, agreements and contracts will be ceded from NRF/HMO to
SANSA.

On 1 April 2011, HMO will also change its name to SANSA: Space Science as
we will become the Space Science Directorate of SANSA. The location of
this directorate will still be in Hermanus, South Africa, and all our
existing programs and projects will continue. In addition, we have the
mandate to expand our programs and projects within the field of Space
Science and related technology, and look forward to the exciting
opportunities that lie ahead for us as the Space Science arm of SANSA.

Please feel free to contact us should you have any concerns or queries
regarding this migration. HMO looks forward to continuing our work in the
Space Science field under the SANSA banner, and we assure you that we are
doing everything possible to ensure a seamless continuation of our
collaborations and services.

Contact email:  <mailto:Info at hmo.ac.za> Info at hmo.ac.za (please put
"migration query" in the subject line)

Dr Lee-Anne McKinnell
Acting Managing Director: Hermanus Magnetic Observatory

Dr. Lee-Anne McKinnell
Acting Managing Director
Hermanus Magnetic Observatory
P O Box 32
Hermanus, 7200
South Africa

Research Associate: Rhodes University
Email :  <mailto:LMcKinnell at hmo.ac.za> LMcKinnell at hmo.ac.za
Tel: +27 28 312 1196 (Hermanus)

HMO Webpage:  <http://www.hmo.ac.za> http://www.hmo.ac.za

Ionospheric Data:  <http://ionosond.ru.ac.za> http://ionosond.ru.ac.za
Space Weather:  <http://spaceweather.hmo.ac.za>
http://spaceweather.hmo.ac.za

Please note that the website, email and postal address for SANSA Space Science [previously known as NRF
 Hermanus Magnetic Observatory HMO], will change on 1 April 2011 as indicated below. The physical addre
ss and telephone numbers at Hermanus will remain unchanged.