[STSP] Fwd: IHY Newsletter for April 2008 (fwd)

Phil Wilkinson phil at ips.gov.au
Mon May 26 14:16:43 EST 2008

The IHY Newsletter 96 April 2008

This is the third of the IHY Newsletters.  We try to send these out on a
monthly basis, but this one slipped into April. Due to multiple mail lists
you may receive duplicate e-mailings. For the May newsletter, please send
any news of important activities that have recently or are scheduled to
take place in your country or region, and that have not previously been
listed, to
Dave Webb, IHY Newsletter Coordinator: david.webb at hanscom.af.mil.

Please refer to the IHY Newsroom site at http://ihy2007.org/newsroom/newsro
om.shtml for the latest IHY News and archived Newsletters.

Chapman Conf. on Universal Heliophysical Processes, Savannah, Georgia, 10
-14 November 2008
Mark you calendars for the AGU-IHY Chapman Conference on Universal
Heliophysical Processes, to be held at the Mulberry Inn in Savannah,
Georgia, during the week of 10 96 14 November 2008.

Conveners
Nancy Crooker, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Marina Galand, Imperial College, London, England, UK
Program Committee
Len Culhane, Terry Forbes, Joe Giacalone, Wing Ip, Chris Owen, George
Siscoe, Roger Smith, Jan-Erik Wahlund, and Gary Zank

The conference title reflects the primary science theme of the 2007-2008
International Heliophysical Year (IHY), advancing our understanding of the
fundamental heliophysical processes that govern the Sun, Earth, and
heliosphere. The conference program will reflect the approach to
research described in the 2004 report of the National Research Council
(NRC), Plasma Physics of the Local Cosmos (available online at http://books
.nap.edu/openbook/03090'159/html/index.html), which is organized into
five categories: creation and annihilation of magnetic fields,
formation of structures and transients, plasma interactions, explosive
energy conversion, and energetic particle acceleration. This approach
seeks to find universal physical laws through comparative studies in the
laboratory of the solar system. It contrasts with the less-focused,
traditional approach that deals with a heterogeneous collection of
structures and processes that have fixed locations and distinct modes of
organization, like sunspots, solar flares, coronal mass ejections, the
solar wind, solar energetic particles, Earth's bow shock, magnetopause,
magnetotail, magnetosphere, substorms, radiation belts, and auroras.
Each has been the sole or featured subject of at least one conference and
at least one book. This compartmentalization of study that pervades the
basic side of the field inhibits desired progress from a derivative to a
stand-alone field of science. It invites ad hoc explanations instead of
universal explanations that apply generally to plasmas in the cosmos.
The objective of the conference is to help focus efforts on finding the
universal explanations.
The conference website http://www.agu.org/meetings/chapman/2008/gcall/
will be updated periodically with further information.

News of IHY EPO Activities in Bulgaria
**************************************
Joint initiatives of Yuri Gagarin Public Astronomical Observatory and
Planetarium (PAOP) and Solar96Terrestrial Influences Laboratory of the
Bulgarian Academy of Sciences (STIL BAS), Stara Zagora, Bulgaria.

Sun Earth Day 2008 - Space Weather Around the World
17 March 2008 - Public talk 93The use of Solar energy - benefits of its
use on Earth and in Space94 - Art Gallery in Stara Zagora
17 96 20 March 2008 - Space Weather96 using the  SID (Sudden
Ionospheric Disturbances) Monitor to make a real space weather broadcast -
Yuri Gagarin Public Astronomical Observatory
18 March 2008 - The Sun in tales 96 Lecture in the Library  93Zahari
Knyazheski94
19 and 20 March 2008 - Public talk 93When the Sun was God94 in the Yuri
Gagarin Public Astronomical Observatory and Art Gallery in Stara Zagora
20 March 2008  96 Yuri Gagarin  Astronomical Observatory:
The Sun and its children 96 Game, Building an edible model of the sun

Public talks on processes which govern influence of  the Sun's on our
Solar system and its connection to the Earth and other planets, on
learning how we are preparing for  watching the August 1, 2008  total
solar eclipse, and how everybody could watch it via a live web cast from
China.
Yuri's Night Parties in Stara Zagora - 12 April 2008

Contributed by Penka Stoeva (penm at abv.bg) and Alexey Stoev (stoev52 at abv.bg)

Goddard Space Flight Center's Sunworks is on Tour!
This exhibit at Goddard SFC (done by Steele Hill) called Sunworks is a
touring art exhibit on the Sun, that was in Vienna, Austria earlier last
year for the start of the IHY activities!
The exhibit has concluded at Fiske Planetarium, in Boulder, Co, and is now
at the USAF Academy in Colorado Springs!  The Academy is a HIGHLY
PRESTIGIOUS location for the exhibit. We are also planning for Kennedy
Space Center in the spring, probably in late March, followed by other
venues. We are currently looking into New York's Hayden Planetarium as one
such possible location.

Jim Stryder (rjusa at acsol.net)
NASA-Soho/UN-IHY 2007-09
Sunworks Liaison (Colorado)
Grand Junction, CO

More on the Sunworks Visit to the USAF Academy
Following a successful west coast series of showings of Sunworks in
California, and Washington State, the exhibit moved back eastward to
Boulder, CO, in January. Following a thirty-day stay at the University of
Colorado's Fiske Planetarium, the exhibit moved on to the United States
Air Force Academy, in Colorado Springs.

Dr. Delores Knipp, of the USAFA's Space Physics division was the host for
Sunworks at the Academy during its stay through March. The exhibit was
shown at the Academy's McDermott Library. Dr. Knipp used the display as a
motivation for space situational awareness. Dr. Knipp teaches a physics
course that deals with solar effects on the environment in which DoD
hardware operates and signals propagate. Space as we all know is not
empty. Our Sun continuously contributes photons, particles and fields to
the harsh space environment surounding Earth. Professor Pam Aloisa (DFENG)
who creates displays for the Permanent Professor Art Gallery assisted Dr.
Knipp with the display.

Sunworks is a collection of twenty-four artworks, from artists ranging
from 4th grade to adult, from seven different countries around the world,
to show the beauty of Earth's closest star in space our own Sun. The art
pieces are colorful and diverse and include a 30-inch aluminum Sun, an
exotic solar face mask, a sun made of Lego blocks, an imaginative stained
glass solar themed creation, and a blown glass plate that looks amazingly
sun-like. The exhibit's major sponsor is the Outreach and Education
Program for IHY (International Heliophysical Year) whose goal is to
"demonstrate the beauty, relevance and significance of Space and Earth
Science to the world." They have already developed programs though
partnerships with many organizations worldwide and are supported by the
United Nations.

Another sponsor is the NASA SOHO Project that is co-sponsoring the event.
Since 1996 the SOHO spacecraft has studied the Sun 24 hours a day from a
point one million miles towards the Sun from Earth. SOHO has contributed
immensely to our understanding of the Sun, its influence on the heliosphere
 and effects on our lives here on Earth.

To learn more about Sunworks and information on how you can bring Sunworks
to your area, visit Soho at; http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov, or contact
Steele Hill on the Soho project for further details, at; steele.w.hill at nasa
.gov

Walt Steiger's Role in the IGY
***********************************
In the IAU Bulletin 101 in an article by David Webb on the IHY, there is a
statement that there is an initiative to identify and recognize participant
s in the first IGY. A description of my role in the IGY can be found
at www.ifa.hawaii.edu/ifa/history.htm . It shows that the IGY played a
very significant role in the beginning of an astronomy program at the
University of Hawaii, which today is one of the major programs in the
country.  I just thought this information might be of interest to your
history initiative.

Walter Steiger (steiger at hawaii.edu)

To the SEVAN network members
**************************************
We want to inform you that the first article on the SEVAN network
detectors has already been published:
A.	Chilingarian and A. Reymers,
93Investigations of the response of hybrid particle detectors for the
Space Environmental Viewing and Analysis Network (SEVAN)94, (2008) Ann.
Geophys., 26, 249-257, and is available via the following link:
http://aragats.am/CRD_PUBLICATIONS/CRD_Journal_Publications_2002-2006/materials/2008/PAPERS/sevan2008.pdf

We are also honored to inform you that the International Symposium:
93Forecasting of the Radiation and Geomagnetic Storms by networks of
particle detectors (FORGES-2008)94 will be held on September 29 96
October 3, 2008, in the International Conference Center, Nor Amberd,
Armenia, 40 km from Armenia's capital Yerevan.  We plan to organize
training courses on SEVAN related physics, electronics and data analysis.

Please use the following link to find more information on the conference
and to register http://aragats.am/forges2008.
Updated charts of the mechanical parts of SEVAN measuring unit are
available from: http://aragats.am/SEVAN/sevan.htm

If you don't want your name to be involved in the mailing list, please
notify us beforehand. If there are any questions do not hesitate to ask
for explanations from us, especially from Anna Alaverdyan (anna at aragats.am)
, hence I will perform as coordinator instead of Veronika Moisseenko.

Anna Alaverdyan (anna at aragats.am)

African Regional IHY School: November 10 - 22, 1008
IHY-Nigeria will host the African Regional IHY School in Nsukka, Nigeria.
The school will feature internationally recognized researchers from many
branches of heliophysics. The school will be held at the Centre for Basic
Space Science, National Space Research and Development Agency (NASRDA) at
the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. The application deadline is 30 April,
2008. Please contact Dr. A. Babatunde Rabiu for application materials.

Below is the list of topics to be covered during the School. Speakers have
been arranged for most of them.
1.Sun in the Universe
2.Solar interior , atmosphere
3.Solar eruptions (CMES and flares)
4.Dynamo processes
5.Solar activity and heliospheric consequences
6.Solar wind:
7.Solar magnetic field:
8.Reconnection processes in heliospace
9. Sun-Climate relationship
10. Turbulence in heliospace
11. Planetary atmospheres
12. Planetary ionospheres
13. Planetary magnetospheres
14. Geomagnetism
15. Lithospheric effects of Geomagnetism
16. Space weather
17. Radio emission processes
18. Energetic particles in the heliosphere
19. Space platforms for heliophysical studies
20. Elemental abundances in the heliosphere;
21. The dynamic heliosphere; space climate
22. Galactic and anomalous cosmic rays in the heliosphere
23. Satellite Meteorology
24. Programming Techniques using MATLAB
25. Advanced numerical methods in space physics
26. Signal and Image Processing

Whole Heliosphere Interval: Call for Participation
The Whole Heliosphere Interval (WHI) began on March 20, 2008. There are
over 200 researchers participating, representing space and ground-based
observatories around the world. We are also pleased that there are a large
number of participants from geospace, providing the essential observations
to connect the variability of the Sun and heliosphere to their impacts at
Earth.
Please take a look at the WHI website and consider joining and participatin
g in the data analysis! WHI Homepage

Barbara Thompson [barbara.j.thompson at nasa.gov]