aurora in Kansas

anonymous anonymous at fakedomain.ips
Mon Nov 8 13:49:06 EST 2004

My coordinates are:
95º 51' 33.84" w
39º 17' 8.88N
(Mayetta, KS U.S.A.)

I began looking at sunset, but did not spot any auroral activity until 6
p.m. CST 07 Nov 04 (12:00 UT 08Nov04). At that time I saw a pillar
coming up from due north, and extending about 10 degrees. The display
soon became extremely active with pillars scattered from NE to NW all
along the northern horizon. Arcs that went from NE to NW and passed
directly overhead shined very brightly. Altair was visible at the
brightest time of the overhead arc, but some of the fainter stars were
not visible.

Currently (02:45 UT) the northern sky is aglow with extremely bright
green glow. An occasional pillar shoots up, but the activity has
subsided to the bright green glow that sometimes condenses into a green
arc that stays below Polaris.

I am on my second roll of film.

Brenda Culbertson