feedback from aurora watching.

anonymous anonymous at fakedomain.ips
Sun Sep 21 17:47:13 EST 2003

Report from Tok, Alaska ...
        on 19 September at about 11 to 2 am (went to bed then) we saw just
the very lightest of wide, soft blue bands across the dark sky ... air was
filled with moisture, close to clouds overhead but more mist than clouds ... so all
was softened, almost blotted out ...
        however, 20 September at about 4 am we saw magnificient wide blue and
green bands moving directly overhead, three wide bands at a time most of the
time, like a directly overhead rainbow ... with the most intense activity to
the west ... the bands ran west to east ... with some lighter ones toward the
north.  whole bands shifting like waves rolling over each other from south to
north ... like three curtain hems, and the wind blowing perpendicularly to
them, transfering light from south one to middle, to north one ... wave after wave
rolling them toward the north ... then the bands reforming south again and
being "rolled north again like three pencils on a table parallel, and the left
one rolling over to hide the middle one, and the middle one rolling over to
cover the right one, even as the left one dimly reappears and then grows till it
rolls like an incoming wave over the middle one again.
    I have seen this type of action along an aurora's "curtain hem" ... but
not the whole length of a band rolling all at once over to and "marrying" the
one farther to the north.  Very interesting.
    Just when you think from all your 50+ years of watching them that you've
"seen them," and then they do something mindblowing and new ...  like last
night's parallel waves  merving ... what an awesome, creative phenomen, yes?!!!!
Love, margie.