Aurora reports

anonymous anonymous at fakedomain.ips
Thu Oct 30 08:51:29 EST 2003

Aurora in progress.  First heard here (radio aurora, 144 MHz) just before
1900Z.  Others to the NE of here had been reporting it a little earlier,
and some 50-MHz operators apparently caught a small aurora sometime in the
early morning hours.  Several Nashville, TN, stations are doing well.

This aurora is interesting so far.  Now 1945 Z.  Signals are varying
heavily and rapidly in strength, from nothing to very strong.  Signals are
peaking from about 0° to as far east as 70°.  Most are peaking around
50-65°.  Not really unusual, but not the most common direction from EM77bq,
central KY.  Also, antenna heading is also varying rapidly at times.

All signals so far from the north thru east.  Nothing from the NW, even
with the beam north or slightly west of north.  Nothing heard beyond about
600 miles.  So not a great aurora so far, but a little different.
2020 Z - Just heard a station in central SC with a good signal.
And a NC station reported working a northern Florida station.
Signals still peaking about 65° most of the time, but strengths varying
heavily (not unusual, but peaking very strongly then suddenly gone - a
little more abrupt than I usually have).
The Nashville, TN, area stations sure are taking advantage of it!
Tried elevating the antenna some.  As on previous tests, did not help.

Still nothing heard from the NW, and almost nothing from the north.  Oops,
just heard K5YY weakly to the SW & K5CM, OK, with a good signal.
2145 Z - 144 MHz band about dead.  K4QI (western NC, I believe) still
strong, tho (beam on 306°).
About 2045 Z the signals were no longer peaking to the NE, but were peaking
300-310°.  Several OK stations in for the next hour, including N0PB mobile,
western MO.  (Must have been a rough road - his keying wasn't up to
par).  Several stations east of me strong with beam to NW.  Again elevated,
no good.
Have to leave soon, so this is probably all for me today, unless it flares
up again later.

    Shelby Ennis, W8WN - EM77bq - KY
       Web: http://qsl/w8wn/
                              <><