Report of Aurora Observation - FM Radio Report

anonymous anonymous at fakedomain.ips
Thu Oct 30 07:58:12 EST 2003

Dear Sir

As a follow up to my report last night 29/10/03, the Aurora conditions faded
out on FM at 20:20 AEDST.

When I got up this morning (0711 AEDST), the Aurora was once again in full
swing with a peak at 07:39am AEDST - a peak signal strength of 21db for the
FM station at Shepparton 96.1.

Reception was not as wide spread as yesterday afternoon, concentrating on
Shepparton/Swan Hill, Mildura/Griffith, & Grafton/Narrabri/Dubbo (basically
2 zones).

Still going as of 07:57, but will have to go out now, so I can't stay to see
how long it lasts.

Thank you.
Geoff Wolfe

Note: Reception off aurora is distinct, in that the FM signals are extremely
distorted, due to the backscatter effect of Aurora. Antenna beam is usually
140DEG East/South East.
Hence I know the difference between Aurora & other types of propagation that
occur on the FM band.