aurora activity

anonymous anonymous at fakedomain.ips
Sat Nov 1 12:25:39 EST 2003

Severe auroral radio scatter observed on frequencies of 144 Mhz from 0430 UTC to 0830 UTC. I made contact with numerous stations in Gippsland Vic, Melbourne, Hobart Tas and Mt Gambier SA. I heard 1 station calling from Sydney. All contacts were made by directing my signal on a bearing of 120 degrees to 140 degrees.
The signals heard had severe phase and Doppler distortion making voice communication extremely difficult. Morse code contacts were easier. Signal strengths varied from strength 5 to strength 7.

A visible glow was evident from just after sunset until 0900 UTC. Some reddish colour could be seen 30 degrees above the horizon but no fingers of light as seen on previous occasions. No visible activity at 1130 UTC.
My position 38 deg 22' 59" S, 142 deg 13' 37.6" E

Regards Russell Lemke
Amateur Radio Station VK3ZQB