aurora observation - St Helens, Tasmania

anonymous anonymous at fakedomain.ips
Fri Aug 22 20:15:11 EST 2003

>From anon at fakedomain.ips
On either Monday 18 (or ?Tuesday 19 August - I think the Monday... its now
several days later that I have had the opportunity to report it via
email....)
Observed around 9pm and watched for about 15 minutes.
Mostly bright white light, although faint suggestions of green and gold
tones at times.
No visible moving effects such as 'curtains' or 'spotlights'. However, the
width of the bright area varied, as, particularly to the south east, the
bright areas slowly lit up and faded again.
At the widest I observed it, it may have affected 35 to 40 degrees of the
horizon, centred on the south.
Height of sky affected from horizon to about 30 degrees above the horizon.

I do apologise for the non-scientific reporting style and language!
However, I hope it is helpful. I do appreciate getting the Aurora alerts,
although I am rarely successful in seeing them, as I live in Hobart and am
generally in an area with too many lights, which leaves me unsure if I am
really seeing an Aurora, if I see anything at all! But this time it was
definitely not city lights, the nearest small villages to the south being
St Marys and Scamander, many miles away.

Sincerely, Pip

Alex and/or Pip Buchanan,
At home: <SNIP Address>.
Phone <SNIP>