Aurora 1/10/02, SE Tasmania

anonymous anonymous at fakedomain.ips
Wed Oct 2 08:59:57 EST 2002

Observed from Taroona, Tasmania 7053

First noticed it from Kingston at about 2030 as a bright yellow dome in the
SE with the setting Venus clearly visible through it.

By 2300 it was clearly visible on the N side of our house in Taroona. We
went to viewing spot with a Southerly aspect over the Derwent River.
Scattered low clouds to the S were black against the yellow glow. Extreme
activity directly overhead: roughly E-W stationary bands (like thin cirrus
cloud) with sheets moving through and past these at speed from about 45
zenith angle to the S to past zenith to the N. The stationary bands had some
activity, but would quite suddenly dissipate and reform for another period
of stability.

There was some beaming, slow moving.

Colour predominantly pale yellow, suggestion of lime green. Didn't see any
red.

Still visible activity overhead and to N at midnight.

Peer Sands

Peter Sands
Chairman, EucProd 2002 Organising Committee
http://cdesign/Eucprod/

CSIRO Forestry and Forest Products &
  CRC for Sustainable Production Forestry
GPO Box 252-12