Aurora visible from Canberra, Sat 31 Mar.

anonymous anonymous at fakedomain.ips
Sat Mar 31 22:24:23 EST 2001

Hi,

I received your email Aurora alerts today and you were right on the
button.

>From anon at fakedomain.ips
moonlight and not good dark seeing (Large Magellanic Cloud just visible)
I saw auroral elements on three occasions.  The first was what looked
like the top of 5577A rays in a SSE direction at about 10 degres alt, a
bit before 8pm, Saturday March 31.  These faded quickly. They were about
IBC2 because the color was marginal.  A large reddish patch with a bit
of vertical structure appeared around 8.15, due west (!!) between 5 and
20 degrees altitude Definitely 6300A, IBC2-3.  Also clearly seen by my
sister who was in a darker location south of Canberra.

Third observation, a distinct formless red (6300A) glow slightly east of
due south, rising to an altitude of about 20 degrees from the southerly
horizon (of which abt 3 degrees was obscured from my location) Time,
9.10pm to about 9.20pm EST.

Not the most dazzling display I've ever seen (how about an overhead
Corona bright enough to read by?) but not bad for Canberra in the city
lights.

Call me on <SNIP> or email me (here or at <SNIP>) if
you need any more details.

Regards

DN
--