Possible AURORA observation in Perth!

anonymous anonymous at fakedomain.ips
Mon Apr 2 10:12:37 EST 2001

G'day,

You expressed interest in feedback from anyone who may have observed aurora.

>From anon at fakedomain.ips
CBD) at about 1:00 AM on Sunday Morning, I observed a very faint red "patch
in the sky, centred around 30 degrees elevation from due west, and perhaps
extending in roughly a circular area across 25 to 35 degrees across the sky.
It was fainter than the milky way, and far less distinct - like the clouds
of Magellan - though much larger and faintly red.  (deep red for me - brown
for Christine)  It did not move or shimmer, though some times it seemed
"more obvious" than at other times.

I can't be sure of the exact location in the sky, however, it was just a
little north of and next to the milky way which at this time seemed to run
from the east south east to the west (my directions are just guesses), and
it was a tad wider.

It was difficult to distinguish it from an after image, and I would not have
been sure that I really saw any thing at all if we had not driven to the
beach at about 1:00 AM to make sure.  We watched for about 20 minutes.

Best viewing was between a couple of sand hills that reduced light
pollution.  There was no moon in the sky.   Both of us (Christine and I) saw
this red patch.

I assume this is not a regular phenomenon and that we were observing the
Aurora?    Why was is almost due west, rather than south as I would have
expected?

Regards DM
David Morris
http://wwwwiz/