[Ips-aurora-alert] Aurora Watch

rwc at ips.gov.au rwc at ips.gov.au
Fri Sep 5 09:24:11 EST 2014

SUBJ: IPS AURORA WATCH
ISSUED AT 2324 UT ON 04 Sep 2014 BY IPS RADIO AND SPACE SERVICES
FROM THE AUSTRALIAN SPACE FORECAST CENTRE

A Coronal Mass Ejection from an erupting solar filament has been
observed and is expected to arrive at Earth sometime around the middle
of the day on September the 6th. In AEST, the best guess arrival is
late in the evening on the 6th however this is a slow moving CME which
makes arrival time prediction particularly uncertain. In addition,
most of the ejected material was observed to be directed mostly to the
north of the Sun, which means that we will not take a direct hit and
at best will be clipped by the edge of the ejected cloud. It is
entirely possible that no impacts will be seen at all from this event,
however filament eruptions do have a tendency to produce more
sustained periods of activity than regular flare induced CMEs so if we
are impacted auroral displays may well result. Aurora watchers are
advised to follow the progress of this event via our website and daily
reports and check regularly for an auroral alert around the expected
impact time, which will be sent should favourable space weather
activity eventuate.

Australian Space Forecast Centre
IPS Radio and Space Services
Bureau of Meteorology